The Centre for Educational Research and Development (CERD) realizes its mission through the following activities:
- scientific projects which include both fundamental and applied research in the field of educational sciences;
- developmental projects which aim to develop professional expertise as a basis for educational policy making and the development of the education system;
- educational programmes in the area of pre-service and in-service teacher training, as well as the professional development of other educational specialists, which are carried out with strategic partners in this field of inquiry (universities, state bodies, public agencies, non-governmental organisations).
The Centre's activities include the following thematic areas related to the organisation and functioning of the education system:
- organisational structure of the education system;
- strategic planning in education and management of the education system;
- curriculum (teaching plans and programmes, teaching materials);
- equal opportunities in education;
- teaching and learning methods, implementing new technologies in education;
- internal and external evaluation of educational outcomes;
- pre-service and in-service teacher training, training of other professionals in education.